Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Newbie Hacker Tools

From: Leif Ericksen <leife () dls net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 05:52:16 -0600

There are plenty of tools out there and even more reading about it to
do.  Yes there are some tools out there that are free that may have a
clause that if you use it in a certain manner they are not free.  You
may have to have your lawyer review the license agreements that are
given with the products.  GNU, Berkeley, et al. (Bah-Bah clause V.S
legit company disclaimer placed here)

Then once you get complete with the open source products you have others
such as ISS's products that you will want to take a look at as well.
Time for a book store run and some time spent with books on computer and
network security, as well as security auditing and hacking. (Hacking
exposed).  It also sounds like you could use some formal training in
computer security (SANS, CompTIA, other)

After that is all done and understood you will either no longer need the
sub contractors, or will be well on your way to know when they aer
blowing smoke and living on your dime.
--
Leif Ericksen

My name is Ed and I run a technology consulting company.  I have begun
offering computer security audits to my clients and, as I am not
experienced
in hacking, have been subcontracting this work out.

The written reports that I have received back from the hackers leave
much to
be desired!  Not knowing too much about intrusion detection but
realizing
that when almost nothing is found wrong (from a security viewpoint)
with a
client's network, I am in big trouble!  Either the hacker does not
have the
experience to find any problems or there really are not any problems.

<SNIP>