Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Remote Desktop vs VPN on Windows 2003

From: "Nero, Nick" <Nick.Nero () disney com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:01:59 -0500

 Unfortunately the phrase "weak encryption algorithm" is only slightly
less subjective than the terms, "too much money".  For what purpose?
The default on 2000 and XP is 128bit RC4 which does seem dated but this
is a pretty popular algorithm for symmetric encryption.  Sure we could
all use key pairs to encrypt everything to have "strong encrytion" but
the cost in performance for the amount of security it provides isn't
worth it for the large majority of applications.

Furthermore in Windows 2003 you have the option of FIPS 140-1/FIPS 140-2
compliant algorithms for encrypting RDP sessions.  This can even be set
via a GPO to your entire environment.  Doesn't get much easier than
that.  Is it secure enough to transfer missle launch codes?  I probably
wouldn't.  Is it good enough to secure a user remotely accessing their
desktops - you betcha.  Also, bear in mind these encyption keys are per
session so once you find one it isn't as easy as just listening to all
the new sessions.

At the same time 128bit SSL isn't as secure as 1024bit but it is secure
enough for the overwhelming majority of uses.  And SSH has had lots of
holes in the past 2 years.  Bashing RDP is just baseless MS bashing
without concern for the facts.