Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Remote Desktop vs VPN on Windows 2003

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:38:57 -0500

I'm quite aware of what I did.  I didn't invite the world to hack me.  I
invited them to find my RDP port.  I often invite people to hack
me...but I didn't this time.

Port scanning is legal in most places in this world and it occurs 1000's
of times a day to my devices whether or not I invited the members of
this list.

Yes, traffic volume went up significantly...and is beginning to die back
down.  For a few hours my whole network was sluggish when connecting to
the Internet.  I certainly expected that.  It gives my ISP something to
play with as well...to practice their skills. I even expected that
someone would just DDoS me...but I hoped that wasn't the case, and so
far, hasn't been.  But if someone wants to DDoS...they can do it with or
without my permissions, and I didn't give permission to anyone to do
anything but look for a port.

Am I bit of a maverick?  No doubt.  Am I foolish?  Probably more than
many on this list would be.  But I also skydiving and cave diving...so
it's in my blood.  What I am is also very successful at protecting my
clients.  Why? Because I don't live inside the box.  I explore and test
the boundaries all the time.  Sometimes I get bit, and most of the time
I learn something.

Every time I hear that security thru obscurity doesn't work...I just
have to speak up an quantify the statement.

I wanted to prove that moving a port to a non-default port adds
something to security...and it did.  I've now got over 140,000 port
scans...and nearly a 100 guesses now (people are still guessing even
though Rhett did it first yesterday).  Not a single guess has been right
besides his.  If I had RDP on a default port, the potential worm would
have had me on its first attempt.  Now, I've got 139,999 packets that
haven't guessed right (and this is as easy as a contest could be).

I've got my data and I will refute anyone who claims changing default
ports adds nothing to security.

Again, there will be a hack IIS 6 contest coming in a few months, but I
won't be hosting it at my business address.

Roger