Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Employee new to industry

From: "Steve" <securityfocus () delahunty com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:00:39 -0500

Sounds like you need her to be able to converse with customers at least a
bit, and understand what the staff is saying when they talk about
"installing an SLL  VPN" for a customer.

Ziff Davis had a book called How Networks Work, really basic.  There must
also be a Networking for Dummies book.

Have her take a look at this Networking chapter from a basic Computer
Textbook online:
http://wps.prenhall.com/bp_capron_computers_8/0,7482,635562-,00.html
Dig around and you can find the PowerPoint that goes with the chapter, good
basic stuff.

Someone noted training is a must and that is good.  Consider a seminar like
this, although topics might be over her head it will be a good start and she
will learn much:
http://www.compumaster.net/SemMDetail.html?ST=CMNET2&FS=&ZC=&m=1&dCat=Netwo

I have found these other tech lingo resources to be good, especially
webopedia:
An encyclopedia of tech terms and technologies -- http://www.webopedia.com/
Layman's Guide to Tech Speak -- http://www2.darwinmag.com/learn/glossary.cfm
An online Tech Encyclopedia -- http://content.techweb.com/encyclopedia/
The ultimate computer acronyms archive - http://www.acronyms.ch/
A great place to find just about any definition you need -
http://whatis.techtarget.com/

Somebody else noted the How Stuff Works link, good idea there too.

Hundreds of tutorials for many tech topics - http://www.techtutorials.com/

Hope this helps,
STEVE