Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Web Application Scanners

From: Tom Stracener <strace () gmail com>
Date: 17 Jan 2005 20:38:23 -0000

Leon,

Yes, you should also look at Cenzic's Hailstorm (www.cenzic.com). While I was a consultant I worked with Hailstorm
extensively. Its quite powerful and has in most cases a very low occurance of false positives. However, Hailstorm does
presuppose a degree of expertise in the user, and as such, its not really a "shiny red button" technology that allows
you to click a single button and get an all encompassing audit. It has a wealth of configuration options that an
experienced user can use to fine tune the scanning process, and thereby reduce false positives and narrow the focus to
specific types of application vulnerabilities.

With regard to Paros, its pretty neat but not all of its features are well documented. I had a hard time creating my
own plugins for it, so I set it aside for the time being.

Hope this helps.

-Tom

From: "Leon Rosenstein" <leonr () traiana com>
To: "security basics" <security-basics () securityfocus com>

Hi,

Currently looking over Webinspect & Sanctum.  What are some of peoples
thoughts / experiences on Webinspect vs AppScan?  Any other big players
in the space people can suggest? =20

Thanks,

Leon