Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Proxy & Firewall Implementation

From: miguel.dilaj () pharma novartis com
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:43:31 +0100

Hi John,

Other than the good answer from Florian, I'm going to make a few points:

a) public services have to be in a DMZ because are the ones than can be
hacked into from the outside, and you don't want the attacker to be
already inside your LAN
b) some private services (for example a DB) can be inside a second DMZ
c) the main idea of a DMZ is that no connections can be established FROM
it, only TO it. There is no reason for someone being logged in into a
server establishing outgoing connections.
d) whatever firewall you decide to use, this box MUST NOT have network
access to it (ok, some people will say that to ease administration you can
still allow something like SSH, I tend to agree, but be very careful with
its configuration and updates), any service you allow is another potential
way of entry for an attacker, and definitely you don't want anyone
compromising your firewall and tampering with its configuration
e) As you're quite new to the IT Sec field, I agree in Florian's
suggesstion on the firewalls book (or any other good book on that topic).
f) It can be also interesting for you to read some of the Linux HOWTO
documents related to firewalls & DMZ, even if you are not going to
implement a Linux firewall, at least they are free of charge at
www.linuxdocs.org
g) Implementing DMZ(s) requires either a flexible firewall box with
several NICs, or sepparate firewalls. From the point of view of making the
infrastructure solid, I tend to agree with the multiple firewalls
configuration
h) Last: remember that a firewall is not the final solution to all your IT
Sec problems, not even close to that. It just restricts what services can
be accessed and from where, but if a service (any service) is available,
it can be a potential avenue of entry for an attacker

From the things you mention as needed, you can have a setup like:

Internet
     ¦
FW 1 (external)
     ¦
public services (you can put the proxy here)
     ¦
FW 2 (internal)
     ¦
LAN-----FW 3 (internal)-----private services

or any similar setup. If you've more than 1 department in your company you
can also make sepparate sections of the LAN using firewalls if required
(for example, protecting the R&D area from employees in the Finance area
and the opposite, etc.).

That "blackhat" made a good suggestion. Your services won't be exposed,
will be protected by the external firewall. AND your internal network will
be protected from "someone" in your servers by the internal firewall. I
think that his/her hat was not so black ;-)
Good luck!
Regards,

Miguel Dilaj (Nekromancer)
Vice-President of IT Security Research, OISSG

John <naverxp () yahoo com sg>
13/01/2005 01:04