Security Basics mailing list archives

Proxy & Firewall Implementation

From: John <naverxp () yahoo com sg>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:04:24 +0800

Hi

I'm a fresh graduate in System Administrator field. Recently, with much of luck, i was recommended to a company to implement a firewall system to their network infrastructure. I hope to pick some experience from this forum as to how people in here might consider different circumstances when placing their proxy server inside a protected network (behind the firwall) or before the firewall. Would i need two firewalls? (i'm considering the Cisco FW, and CyberGuard FW).

During my research, i found a documentation written by a blackhat whom suggested to allocate DMZ most of my services (httpd, mail, etc) outside the internal network and make redundancies everynight. My 2nd question, why did he suggested that? why expose my services outside the network where my information are Live and exposed to the risk of being compromised.

John