Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Mail Servers blocking BAD Helo

From: Ed Weinberg <edw () q5comm com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:07:54 -0500

We did a survey of our clients and found that they receive no email from
China.  About Four years ago I read an article in one of the free weekly
IT magazines about how China was going to have problems doing business
with the world in the future because so many company were rejecting all
China email outright.

Over the next year or two I examined a lot of spam and using commands
like "traceroute" and Arins lookups I put together my own blacklist of
Chinese ip addresses.  At one point that list was blocking about 40% of
the email to my server.  I do know that a minute does not go by when I
don't reject China email.