Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Restricting SSH in windows

From: Daniel Miessler <daniel () dmiessler com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:43:11 -0500

On Feb 11, 2005, at 11:37 AM, Brian T wrote:

I have a situation where a vendor is SSHing into a windows box on our internal network that is connected to the console of a system that he needs to support. In an effort to restrict the vendor's access to our network we disconnect the network connection of the supported system during maintenance procedures. There is, however still the issue of the vendor having unrestricted shell access to the windows box. The ssh server is using Cygwin and Openssh v3.5p1. I would like to restrict the commands the vendor is allowed to execute (in this case only ftp and telnet). All research I have conducted so far has not given me anything useful for windows. Does anyone have any experience is a situation such as this?

At first glance, I don't see how you could do this. My first idea would be to give them a very limited user account (in Active Directory or locally) that will limit their ability to do damage to the host itself; with proper NTFS permissions in place, you can gain a *decent* amount of protection by doing this.

It's not ideal, but it's something to do if you're forced to give them a shell and you have no other solution.

Regards,

-Daniel R. Miessler