Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Programming

From: Glenn English <ghe () slsware com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:39:09 -0700

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 09:17 +0100, dayz () planet nl wrote:

I want to begin with learning programming to increase my knowledge about
security, but I don't know where to begin. Can someone tell me which
programming language is good to start with, and pherhaps what book
and/or online guides I should take a look at?
It would be nice that if I learn a programming language that it
shouldn't be much work to understand another one.

When I was in computer college many years ago they started me on Pascal,
at least partially to train me to think GoodThoughts. Things considered
naughty in the late '70s aren't allowed by the syntax, and the diagrams
in the back of Wirth's little book saved this beginner many times. It's
closer to real world languages than lisp is, but there's still a
learning curve.

After that look at C, of course, and Java.

--
Glenn English
ghe () slsware com