Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Program to monitor employee internet usage

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:16:28 +0530

On 23/12/05 16:49 -0000, invstg8r () hotmail com wrote:
What have some of you used to provide this in a report that management can
use to show that a user is spending too much time on the internet?

I would recommend Squid, and then a log file analyser. However, keep in
mind that surfing patterns mean nothing (Open 20 slashdot tabs and then
spend three hours reading them as against lots of small transactions.)

I don't have a Linux box up and running, but if the right Linux based
app is suggested, I would consider going that route.

Your requirement essentially boils down to a web proxy (ISA on Windows
might be a better fit, given the MS dependency). Choosing the right
proxy is entirely upto you.

Devdas Bhagat

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus