Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cracking simple password encryption

From: jim () openanswers co uk
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:28:57 -0000 (GMT)

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out the password encryption scheme used by some
software and haven't had much luck yet.  I was wondering if anyone on
here might be able to give me some pointers.

A little while ago I remember some discussion on this list (I think it
was this list anyway) about decrypting passwords that were XOR
encrypted.  I can't seem to find that discussion though.

I have a few example passwords and I can see a pattern emerging:

password        crypted
a               aQ=b               cg=c               ew=aa
aWoab              aXEcc              e3gaaa             aWpq
aab             aWpx
abb             aXFx
bbb             cnFx

Thanks,
David

Hi,
What is the software in question? Is it open source? Do you know if the
password in reversible. There are loads of code breaking resources on the
web (google is you friend). I've cracked a few simple codes before, my
notes might make useful reading if this is a simple code.

http://www.watersheep.org/~jim/codecracking/

Regards,
Jim Halfpenny

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus