Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cracking simple password encryption

From: Kaushik <kaushik () gamebox net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:34:56 +0530

Hi David...

    on visual inspection i can see a small pattern
1) there is one extra character in the encrypted text as compared to the clear text
2) 1st "a" in clear results to 1st "a" in encrypted
   1st "b" in clear results to 1st "c" in encrypted
   1st "c" in clear results to 1st "e" in encrypted
--- following this logic "d" would result in "g" so and so forth...
Do give more examples

Warm Regards
Kaushik

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out the password encryption scheme used by some
software and haven't had much luck yet.  I was wondering if anyone on
here might be able to give me some pointers.

A little while ago I remember some discussion on this list (I think it
was this list anyway) about decrypting passwords that were XOR
encrypted.  I can't seem to find that discussion though.

I have a few example passwords and I can see a pattern emerging:

password        crypted
a               aQ==
b               cg==
c               ew==
aa              aWo=
ab              aXE=
cc              e3g=
aaa             aWpq
aab             aWpx
abb             aXFx
bbb             cnFx

Thanks,
David

--

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.