Security Basics mailing list archives

Proper vulnerability disclosure process ????

From: vipul kumra <vikumar2 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 02:34:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Could anyone please throw some light on what is the
proper vulnerability disclosure process. Also, are
there any legal implications if this is not done
correctly (ethically). How many days should someone
wait if the company which owns the vulnerable product
doesn't respond back.

Is there a standard way (industry protocol) for
vulnerability disclosure.

Best Regards

Vipul Kumra
"I repeat: complexity is the worst enemy of security.
Secure systems should be cut to the bone and made as
simple as possible. There is no substitute for
simplicity. Unfortunately, simplicity goes against
everything our digital future stands for. " Bruce
Schneier