Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Best IDS ?

From: "McKinley, Jackson" <Jackson.McKinley () team telstra com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:23:36 +1100

Personally...
Best thing about snort is now easy it is to deploy new sensors when
needed.  In a large networks you can deploy sensors at the drop of a
hat.  You can reuse retired hardware (depending on the network) so no
need to fork out 40 - 60k for a "sensor" which is just a 1ru pc with a
fancy brand name :P.

Building a sensor takes what 20min?  Even quicker if you had a rollout
image. Build a kickstart image and you can deploy anywhere on your
network!! Ha-ha ok I'm going over board :)

The way its so easy to write new rules.  It takes 10 - 15 min to create
a new rule to search for the type of traffic your interested in.

Maybe I'm just a snort fan but hey I always push snort.

Cheers

J.