Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Your opinion on Skype

From: Shawn Merdinger <shawnmer () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:22:59 -0700

And don't any of you krazy kids try to attach a debugger like Ollydbg
or SoftIce to Skype under W32, because it will cause Skype to
exit...not to mention likely violating the EULA.

It *might* be different under *NIX were one inclined to break the EULA
and use tools like ptrace, etc.

Also of interest, users posted workarounds to the debugger issue with
SoftIce were deleted from the Skype Forums <http://forum.skype.com> by
Skype Forum admins with the reason that the developers had experienced
*bad things* from folks using debuggers on their past project, Kazaa.
At best, that move stikes me as highly presumptive in dictating what
users may run on their boxen...at worst it smacks of nothing less than
of technical censorship driven by fear.

Thanks,
--scm