Security Basics mailing list archives

FW: Your opinion on Skype

From: "Joe George" <j.george () conservation org>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:14:03 -0400

I've been reading several articles including the link to one below regarding Skype software.  We have several users in
our HQ office as well as field offices who were recommended to use Skype to keep in communication.  Several of us in
our IT department are very apprehensive about it for many reasons including the fact it's not been through a pilot
phase.  Aside from the VoIP functionality, I do not understand why they need it, because we have an enterprise IM
client available, which you can integrate several other IM clients with.  A VoIP solution is not far away from being
deployed throughout organization as well.

Skype's claim of being secure does little to ease my mind.  Skype is not on the list of our supported applications, and
as a low on the totem pole I am within the organization; I would be remiss by not mentioning my apprehension to the
end-user of it being on their computer.   I just wanted to get your thoughts on it.  I've installed Skype on my own
computer and haven't seen any adverse effects, but I do not use it often due to lack of time.  Have any of you deployed
it successfully within your network? What is your opinion on the application?

http://networks.silicon.com/telecoms/0,39024659,39125816,00.htm

Thanks in advance,

Joe