Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Computer forensics to uncover illegal internet use

From: "Jason Coombs" <jasonc () science org>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:44:33 +0000 GMT

Yes, of course this is governed by
the rules of evidence for the
jurisdiction they are in.

And governed by common sense, hopefully. If the persons are acting in their official capacity in their position within
the business, they cannot be prosecuted as individuals -- the company can be prosecuted, but the person cannot, even if
a person is the one who gives a copy to corporate counsel, or to a supervisor, or in some other way complies with a
stated or an implied chain of command or company incident response policy and in so doing literally violates a criminal
statute. The company can't be imprisoned, and the person was doing the company's reasonable business, so no worries. As
long as the actors do not take actions that fail the 'reasonable company' test or perhaps better stated as the
Reasonable Corporation Test.

(Yes, I have just coined a term, and a terrible one -- applying the 'reasonable person' test to a business even further
attribute the quality of being a 'person' to a corporation pursuant to the 14th Amendment.)

Disagree with my assertion, if you wish. You won't find a statute, presently, that makes this clear -- but I have been
told recently that the U.S. Attorney General is about to give a written opinion clarifying this very topic for everyone.

The opinion is reportedly going to include an explicit statement that corporations do not have a duty to report in the
case of child pornography offenses.

It is important to understand that non-corporations (other business entities, especially sole proprietorships) may
actually have individual criminal liability exposure for a variety of people (such as the sole proprietor herself) even
for circumstances in which a corporate entity and its employees would not.

Also, in the case being dicussed, as in most cases of alleged employee actions at work using a computer owned by the
employer, nobody has actually seen the alleged contraband. There may be good reason to fear it is present on the drive,
but suspicion or feelings of a vigilante duty must not be allowed to interfere with our proper response, which is to
consider the precise circumstances that brought the matter to our attention,

A very important and interesting discussion. Hopefully it has guided Edmond sufficiently.

(It hasn't been pointed out before, but it appears that Edmond is located in Canada where everything is quite different
from this U.S.-centric discussion)

Best,

Jason Coombs
jasonc () science org