Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Prevent use of Open Share

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 05:51:25 -0400

Easy, don't allow your users to be admins or power users. Only
Administrators and Power Users can create shares. If your end-users are
in either of these two groups, open shares is the least of your issues.
There is no easy way to prevent admin users from creating shares.

There is a withdrawn registry edit that used to allow you to control
what permissions were given automatically with new shares, but that has
been withdrawn.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, Banneret Computer Security, Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, CHFI, TICSA
*email: roger () banneretcs com
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=281
****