Security Basics mailing list archives

Prevent use of Open Share

From: "Alex Harasic Gil" <alharasic () mi cl>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:55:40 -0400

Hi, the company I'm working for has over 8,000 PCs connected to the corporate LAN. We need to find a way to prevent users from creating Open Shares with full-access permissions on the Windows 2000 network.

Basic users, don't know how to apply control access to the shares they're sharing. So, there's also an education process we need to carry on.

But for a first instance, how can I do to lock the use of public open shares on the windows 2000 Domain? Domain Policy, GPO?, is there any way to detect the use of them other than scanning for open shares?.

Regards

Alex S. Harasic
alharasic () mi cl