Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ssh tunneling to bypass web proxy rules

From: "Conlan Adams" <conlan () midwesteyebanks org>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:37:46 -0400

Here is a quick and dirty write up showing what he is doing.

http://lukeolbrish.com/tiki-print_article.php?articleId=1

Long story short, you can use a SSH server as a socks proxy for whatever
you want through your SSH tunnel.

Easiest ways to stop him...

1.  Fire him
2.  Find out where he is connecting, and ban the IP (if the server is
dhcp like a home computer and cable modem, this wont work well)
3.  Using group policy to forbid proxy changes via Internet Explorer,
and the associated registry keys (this can be circumvented by using
another browser)
4.  Block all internet access to him at the firewall, allowing only
certain services via proxy (Web only really, would work well, but
requires more work on your part)
5.  Fire him

Don't bother blocking port 22 though, as he can just use another port.
The best solution to this is to treat it administratively, get him in
trouble, ideally fired.  He's circumventing network security and most
technical means that you have to stop him can be circumvented by a
person who knows what he's doing, restrict more than most admins want
to, or require prohibitive amounts of work.

Conlan