Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: how to block connections running on non-default ports

From: "AMOL" <amol.sable () capsilon com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:53:26 +0530

Hi Niranjan,
Nice question!

Any IDS in inline mode, or Firewall will block the packets as per the rules
defined for blocking/allowing.
Generally,Port 80-HTTP and 443-HTTPS are among the most common ports in the
"allowed" ones.
And yes; your Firewall doesn't know more than source (IP:PORT) destination
(IP:PORT) and state (if you have an option of a stateful inspection of
packets).
From your scenario it looks like you have a packet filter Firewall.A
firewall implemented with the Packet Filters work at Network Layer of
ISO/OSI stack.
Hence it cant stop telnet connection to the server listening on "allowed"
port.

Similar is the case for Inline IDS.

But as a security measure you can make sure that hosts on your network are
NOT practicing things like: running telnet server on port 443. Strictly. And
you can implement ALG (or simply enable it if its already present)option in
your Firewall.
A firewall implemented with the Application Layer Gateways(ALG) work at the
Application Layer of ISO/OSI stack.

Hope this may help a little.

Regards
--Amol.