Security Basics mailing list archives

IPCop vs Smoothwall and VNC over SSH

From: Douglas Duckworth <stlpcsecurity () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:50:51 -0500

Hello everyone!

I am working with a client, who is looking to enable remote access/VPN
into the network.  The company is rapidly expanding, and my concern is
security when considering VNC.  I have decided to replace the existing
Linksys NAT/Firewall Router with a linux based solution, either IPCop,
or Smoothwall.  I think I will go with IPCop, becasue I have read the
support is better, is this the best solution?  Secondly, would VNC
over SSH really be the best option for remote access?  I have used VNC
before, but never over the Internet;  I use SSH 2 frequently, and I am
aware of its security, however, is this really the best solution?

I am referencing:
http://martybugs.net/smoothwall/puttyvnc.cgi

Which states that, due to forwarding, VNC ports will not be accessible
from the Internet, a great relief.

Can anyone recommend better third party software which would be cost
effective?  We are choosing VNC over SSH also because of its open
source nature.

Regards,
Doug