Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question about hotel security design

From: Times Enemy <times () krr org>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:50:20 -0700

Alexander Klimov wrote:

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, ricci wrote:

     Can someone tell me how to design and configure the hotel room security
control? As what I have experience before in a hotel, I will only be
permitted to access to the Internet after I pay using the credit card. But I
sometimes found that I have been assigned with IP addresses but cannot
access to any port. When I access to the web port, it will bring me to the
payment page before I can access to the web.

     Can someone tell me how that is configured? What mechanism is used and what
device is used?

Probably there is a "transparent proxy" (google for it) which either
forward your requests to internet or shows hotel's web site
there you can pay. After this the web site reports to the proxy that
from now on your requests should be forwarded to internet.

Alternatively, there is just a dynamic firewall/nat (without proxy)

Greetings.

One solution which can be built upon and modified is the NoCatAuth:
Authentication for Wireless Networks concept.  Using this as a baseline,
you should be able to create a mixed (wired/wireless) environment which
will meet your requirements, and hopefully your budget.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2001/11/09/nocatauth.html

A related book, per the above link, is the Building Wireless Community
Networks: Implementing the Wireless Web.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wirelesscommnet/

Of course, as mentioned, google.com .

Good luck!

.times enemy

Earn your MS in Information Security ONLINE
Organizations worldwide are in need of highly qualified information security
professionals.  Norwich University is fulfilling this demand with its MS in
Information Security offered online.  Recognized by the NSA as an
academically excellent program, NU offers you the opportunity to earn your
degree without disrupting your home or work life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus_en