Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question about hotel security design

From: "Nobody Special" <harmless () owbn org>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:18:23 -0500 (CDT)

The term you are looking for is "captive portal".

There are a couple of Linux firewall distros that have the funcationally
as a module or you can hack together your own version using NoCatAuth.

Useful links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal
http://nocat.net/

Linux firewall distros referenced above:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/
http://www.smoothwall.org/

If you are looking for one that is a drop and go CD (based on Knoppix)
designed to work with wireless hotspots you can look at ZoneCD.
http://www.publicip.net/zonecd/what.php

Hope this helps, now I await the 40+ messages from list members who have
auto-reply messages telling me they are out of the office.  :-/

--
Jimm

Hello All,

Can someone tell me how to design and configure the hotel room security
control? As what I have experience before in a hotel, I will only be
permitted to access to the Internet after I pay using the credit card.
But I sometimes found that I have been assigned with IP addresses
butcannot >access to any port. When I access to the web port, it will
bring me to
the payment page before I can access to the web.
Can someone tell me how that is configured? What mechanism is used and
what device is used?

Thanks.

Ricci

Earn your MS in Information Security ONLINE
Organizations worldwide are in need of highly qualified information security
professionals.  Norwich University is fulfilling this demand with its MS in
Information Security offered online.  Recognized by the NSA as an
academically excellent program, NU offers you the opportunity to earn your
degree without disrupting your home or work life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus_en