Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows Remote Access Tools

From: Adam Jones <ajones1 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:08:39 -0500

At work we use radmin for this. I think our using the software is a
holdover from the NT days when it was a really well developed
application. Unfortunately by now it is lacking in a number of areas,
most notably dual-screen support. The server can be installed as a
service and completely hidden from the user. The client itself can be
password protected, and each server can have an individual password.
There is also a integration feature where you should be able to use
active directory permissions to control it, but I could never get that
to work. The remote session operates over an encrypted connection (I
believe you can set the amount of encryption, with possible levels up
to 256-bit) GUI performance is so-so, largely depends on the amount of
bandwidth available. Overall it stays usable over slow connections.
Also has a terminal client and remote shutdown/restart options. No
idea what the cost is. link: http://www.radmin.com

Out of the four you listed I only have any real experience with VNC,
but that was a while ago and the information you have is probably more
up to date. That said if the features you need are there then the cost
can't be better.

-Adam