Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VNC Security

From: "Steve Bostedor" <Steveb () tshore com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:57:06 -0400

Thank you for the reply, Alexander.  I understand exactly what you're trying to say.  I'm not sure if you fully
understand what I was saying and its probably my fault for not making it clear enough.

You seemed to concentrate on how easy it is to do things with the VNC packets once you've sniffed the packets.  You say
that you've sniffed the packets before but have you ever sniffed packets from a network outside of your own LAN?  How
about on your LAN but on another switch port?

What I was trying to discuss is how real the threat is that someone outside of your network will actually get to sniff
enough of and the correct sequence of your packets to do the things that you where able to do by sniffing the packets
on your local segment.

You're basically breaking into your own house by using your own keys in the scenario that you provided.  How realistic
is it for someone in India to sniff my packets going from a server in Detroit, MI to a server in Jackson, MI?  How
realistic is it for him to actually get usable data?

It's Easy to say that if there's a way into your network, you're insecure but there's a way into your house .. is your
house insecure?  Is VNC really the low hanging fruit in my scenario.

I know that you all are very specific and technical, so I'll spell out an exact scenario which happens to be the most
common usage of VNC in companies.
--------
* John Doe is getting an error message on his computer and calls the help desk a city away for help.

* Helpdesk tells John to double-click on the VNC icon on his desktop that starts the server

* Helpdesk connects to Johns computer and takes about 10 minutes to resolve the problem

* Helpdesk person kills the VNC server on the remote computer and the connection is terminated

-------

I understand that Security is very important but it's also very important to not go Barney Fife and start drawing the
gun on everything that moves if you get what I mean.  What are the odds that some guy in Florida is going to sniff that
10 minute session and get into the network?  My answer is 1 in at least 10 million.

The guy in Florida would have to have already compromised a computer on either of the networks that happened to be
plugged into a HUB (Not a switch) that either of the computers are plugged into ~OR~ he would have had to hack one of
the routers close to either one of them to send packets to him as a man in the middle attack of sorts.

Both of these are a bit extreme for VNC data theft, don't you think?  If you do all of that, isn't there a bunch of
much bigger prizes at your fingertips than VNC data?!

Now are you starting to see what I'm saying?  The successful exploits that must be done to get someone's VNC packet
stream would land you access to things far greater than just the VNC data and who would waste the time with VNC data at
that point?  Go for the gold, you're already in someplace pretty good at that point.

The only EASY way that I know of to sniff someone's packets are to either be on a hub with the remote computers or to
have a Trojan on one of the computers.  Does someone know of an easy way other than that?  Easier than just hacking
into the company other ways that do not involve VNC?

- Steve