Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: block MSN Messenger

From: Mike Sweeney <mikesweeney () packetattack com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:05:28 -0700

I would suggest Trillian which has a method of IMing that is native to the application so you can block ALL im
protocols outbound and still have the use of IM internally without a need of a server.

Now, with that said, I have not tried it with a LARGE enterprise so while it works very well for a SOHO and up to a few
hundred clients, I would be skeptical in anything larger.

If that doesnt work, look at Bluecoat which offers "reflecting" IM messaging and can log all IMs. The reflection takes
something like MSN or Yahoo and if the IM is for an internal client, it's "reflected" back into the LAN but if the IM
is for an outside client, it's blocked, dropped or otherwise stopped. Works very well.

MikeS