Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blackberry Security concerns

From: Cesar Diaz <cdiaz00 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:11:17 -0400

Can you provide a link to the original source of the information from
Stefan Keller ?

On 4/15/05, Jason.Burzenski () americanhm com
<Jason.Burzenski () americanhm com> wrote:
These are the documents that we found most helpful for the assessment (in no
particular order).

http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/pda/258.php

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/6450
94/An_@stake_Security_Assessment.pdf?nodeid=644990&vernum=0

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/7979
/278286/278425/Wireless_IT_Policy_and_IT_Administration.pdf?nodeid=340697&ve
rnum=0

http://www.blackberry.com/products/software/server/exchange/upgrade.shtml?ty
pe=3_5

http://www.blackberry.com/products/software/server/exchange/security.shtml

This summary from Stefan Keller also provided this at the time I was doing
the research.  I've paraphrased a bit but this formed a good foundation for
the recommendations we proposed.

Top 5 Blackberry Security Recommendations
1.  Disable pin-to-pin messaging
2.  Enable password-protection on the device (strong passwords, expiration)
3.  Disable the installation of 3rd party applications
4.  Make user aware that data on the device is at risk (awareness)
5.  Communicate the procedure for loss of device and emergency shutdown of
service.

Hope this helps.

Jason