Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive data security

From: Zachary Shay <zshay () cc gatech edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:11:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Paul,
    I would copy the data over to whatever you will use next, or simply
just a backup cdr/dvd.  Then I would use something like `dd` along with
/dev/rand or /dev/zero.  That may do what you want.  Just deleting or
formatting the drive will probably leave traces of data that can be
recoverable.  I am fairly sure that if you delete the data with a format
and then rewrite over the data, then you will be safe.

Zach Shay