Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Client End Firewalls

From: "Brent Clark" <bclark () eccotours biz>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:22:30 +0200

How much protection do you believe client side firewalls provide? My boss
has asked for my thoughts on a system like Zone Labs are now offering. Can
anyone provide me with their thoughts on what benefits this actually
provides?

Hi

Believe in as much protection as you can offer.
Normally, what I do, is DROP all incoming connection from the internet, but
allow any connection (to what ever port) to the internet from my lan.
Over here we are pretty relaxed, so therefore, if someone wants to IRC chat,
use Kazaa etc, its ok.

On my LAN I use iptables with all the table default policy of DROP.

Kind Regards
Brent Clark