Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Client End Firewalls

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:02:47 -0700

How much protection do you believe client side firewalls
provide? My boss has asked for my thoughts on a system like
Zone Labs are now offering. Can anyone provide me with their
thoughts on what benefits this actually provides?

Good client side firewalls can control what applications open ports and
send/receive traffic. In a corporate LAN which is protected by firewalls
and other network security equipment you are really just setting up more
pain for yourself by installing client firewalls. Using a product like
Symantec Enterprise Edition with their NIS firewall is extremely useful
for roaming (read: laptop) clients. Any of the 'Enterprise' class client
software firewalls usually have centralized management. Client firewalls
provide a good level of protection, but don't offer the Layer 4 and
higher inspection of traffic like 'normal' firewalls.

Pros:
-----
Protects against malicious applications on the host
Can control what applications have network access
Adds another level of protection to the host and network
Assists in prevent prorogation of virii and worms inside the network

Cons:
-----
Can be hard to manage
Can confuse the user