Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CIDR Explanation

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:13:11 -0700

  When you specify a subnet mask to an IP address, you're telling
<whoever> which of the 32 bits are network address, and which are
host address.  For instance, in the "Class C" mask 255.255.255.0,
the first 24 bits of address will be used as net/subnet address,
and the remaining 8 bits as host address.
  Since in 99.9999% of cases, the network/subnet bits are contiguous,
starting from the beginning of the address, CIDR notation writes
"the first 24 bits are net/subnet address bits" as "/24".

  In dotted notation, it's a bit easier to write and work with
masks that fall on octet boundaries.  In CIDR, it's no harder to
write "/23" (255.255.254.0) or "/25" (255.255.255.128) than it is
"/24".

David Gillett