Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CIDR Explanation

From: "Andrew Shore" <andrew.shore () holistecs com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:29:38 +0100

A subnet mask simply says how many bits of the address are network and
how many are host.

Eg 10.2.3.55 255.255.255.0 means

The network is 10.2.3.0 and this host is 55 on that network

CIDR is just a way to save typing :)

In the above example the mask is 255.255.255.0 each number represents on
octet of a 32 bit number (in binary 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000
3x8 1's and 8 0's) There are 24 1's so 24 bit mask or /24 in CIDR
notation. We use the doted notation because its easier to remember.

If you sub net the above example into  two networks (allowing subnet
zero) the mask would become 255.255.255.128 in (binary
11111111.11111111.11111111.10000000) which give a /25 CIDR network.

Basically count the 1's in the mask.

Of course this does imply that you have a good grasp of subnetting.

Check out Todd Lamels CCNA book for some good lessons on subnetting