Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: educating rDNS violators

From: LordInfidel () directionweb com
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:35:34 -0400

I am not sure how RDNS and security for e-mail are interrelated, but RDNS
~does~ not offer any security to your mail server, In fact:

1. RDNS does not prevent malicious attacks ~directed~ against your mail
server.

2. While RDNS does help prevent Spam, to say that it also prevents e-mail
borne viruses is a stretch.
Use the right tools when trying to prevent e-mail borne virii, RDNS is not
the right tool; AV software at the mail gateway, extension blocking at the
mail gateway and AV on the client are.

3. RDNS is *NOT* part of RFC822/821, which governs SMTP transmissions.  See
#6.

4. RDNS *will* block legitimate e-mail.  You must be willing to accept the
fact that you will not receive legitimate e-mail from locations that you
want, and be in violation of the RFC.

5. not using RDNS should not be confused with running an openrelay. They are
2 distinctly separate issues.  You can run a secure mail server without
requiring RDNS lookups on every inbound connection to your server.

6. Section 5.2.5 of rfc1123 covers this quite explicitly.  Rejecting mail
based on RDNS ~~~***VIOLATES***~~~ the RFC:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1123.html

5.2.5  HELO Command: RFC-821 Section 3.5

         The sender-SMTP MUST ensure that the <domain> parameter in a
         HELO command is a valid principal host domain name for the
         client host.  As a result, the receiver-SMTP will not have to
         perform MX resolution on this name in order to validate the
         HELO parameter.

         The HELO receiver MAY verify that the HELO parameter really

RFC1123                  MAIL -- SMTP & RFC-822             October 1989

<!------This is the part here covering RDNS----->

         corresponds to the IP address of the sender.  However, the
         receiver MUST NOT refuse to accept a message, even if the
         sender's HELO command fails verification.

         DISCUSSION:
              Verifying the HELO parameter requires a domain name lookup
              and may therefore take considerable time.  An alternative
              tool for tracking bogus mail sources is suggested below
              (see "DATA Command").

              Note also that the HELO argument is still required to have
              valid <domain> syntax, since it will appear in a Received:
              line; otherwise, a 501 error is to be sent.

         IMPLEMENTATION:
              When HELO parameter validation fails, a suggested
              procedure is to insert a note about the unknown
              authenticity of the sender into the message header (e.g.,
              in the "Received:"  line).

Enjoy,

LordInfidel