Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Advice on Fastest NMAP Scan

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:05:57 -0700

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 09:58:50AM -0500, Mogren, Jack L. wrote:

Here's what I've come up with so far.

nmap -O -T4 -PE -F --osscan_limit -oX /home/security/test.xml -iL /home/security/ip_addresses.txt

  Any comments or suggestions?

First off, make sure that you are using Nmap 3.75.  Nmap 3.70 included
a complete port scan engine rewrite for better performance (among
other advantages) and then 3.75 tweaked it to be even better.  You can
obtain Nmap 3.75 from http://www.insecure.org/nmap .

Since you know your network, you may be able to help Nmap by setting a
maximum retransmission timeout.  Are you scanning over multiple
continents, or just a local network?  If you can assume that responses
won't take more than 100ms, add --max_rtt_timeout 100 for a big speed
boost.  Also, use a large host group such as --min_hostgroup 128 so
that many hosts are scanned in parallel.  Play with the numbers a bit
to figure out what works best on your particular network.  You could
also consider a custom nmap-services file with just a couple hundred
of the most common TCP ports.  Even the -F option still scans more
than 1200 ports by default.

I would be interested to hear how it goes.  If you find that it is too
slow for your needs, let me know.  I am working on a performance
chapter of my upcoming O'Reilly Nmap book, so I have studied several
such large network situations.  A class B and several class C's
shouldn't be any problem at all for regular scanning.  Your "entire
private address space" make take a while, depending on your setup.
Scanning 10.0.0.0/8 is 16 million IPs, so don't expect it to complete
during lunch.  Some of the tools that claim incredibly speeds don't
even handle retransmissions or other reliability requirements.

I hope this helps,
Fyodor