Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: 0.0.0.0 Probes

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:38:38 -0700

According to RFC 1812, all routers "SHOULD NOT originate
datagrams addressed to 0.0.0.0". This leads me to believe
that these packets are coming from your
local ISP's network.

  These packets are not *to* 0.0.0.0; they just claim to be
*from* there.  Unless a router is specifically configured to
check the source address for validity, it won't care.  (The
RFC passage you quote prevents attempts to *reply* to such
packets from saturating the whole Internet.)

David Gillett