Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: 0.0.0.0 Probes

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:31:24 -0700

  It means that whatever machine generated the traffic, it was
trying to hide its identity.

  Note that you cannot possibly send return packets to this address.
So I wouldn't call this a "probe", unless it was written by someone
who is still just learning how TCP/IP works.
  Earlier this week, I tracked down a worm on our network that was
generating packets with a source address of 0.0.0.0, and sending
them all to a specific address.  This is not a "probe", it's a
"SYN flood" attack.  The attacker doesn't care that the destination
can't reply, because he has no intention of ever completing the
TCP three-way handshake.

  If you're seeing traffic sourced from 0.0.0.0, the only
"misconfiguration" is that nobody between you and the source is
doing anti-spoofing or egress filtering.  Dropping it at your
firewalls is the only sane thing to do.

David Gillett