Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Event log monitoring

From: Julen C <julenc () spymac com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 05:00:38 -0600

Take a look on Computer Associates eTrust Audit.
http://www3.ca.com/Files/DataSheets/etrust_audit_pd.pdf

It centralizes logs from SO(windows, unix...), applications(apache, IIS...), BBDD
(oracle, sql server...).

You could configure alerts, for example if this log appears(failed log on, time
change...) send an alert (email, sms...).

Julen Cordon.

On Fri Oct 15 12:53 , Ryan Murphy <RMurphy () irvinecompany com> sent:

I am in a similar situation as the original poster in that I am looking for
consolidated server event logging for our Windows server farms. The options
provided on this list so far provide a good base for windows syslog
servers/clients. The real question I need answered is, which of these
products provide correlation/analyzation/reporting on the log data
collected? That is the real value in having a centralized logging system.
Which of these products will let me answer questions like:

How many failed logins occured between a certain time period? Which logins
and on which servers?
What are repeated application failures, and are they correlated in some way
to the security or system logs?
Creation of new administrator accounts correlated with a series of failed
login attempts followed by a single successful attempt.

Basically, which log server analyzer will provide reports for suspicious
activity, or other activity possibly indicative of someone trying to fiddle
with things they shouldn't be? Does this kind of thing exist, or are we
still at the point where the vigilant sys admin has to pour through these
logs himself, or with a series of scripts in hand?

Thanks,

Ryan