Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Allowing scanning from home

From: Steven Trewick <STrewick () joplings co uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:26:24 -0000

but spoofing an IP addy is a very trivial task

While I would agree that it is entirely trivial to create
and send IP packets with arbitrary addresses, this is by no
means the same thing as being able to levarage IP "spoofing"
into a successful attack, particularly if TCP based
protocols are involved (UDP is more trivial, but only if no
reply is required)

In any case, surely IP spoofing would not be an issue if all you
are doing is running port scan tools against the network, it is
only an issue if you are allowing inward connections from those
particular IP addresses, and even then falls under the above
caveats, EG it is very non trivial to mount a successful IP
spoofing attack through a chain of routers, such as one might
find between an employee's ISP and your own network border
(unless you are running some horribly vulnerable UDP based service
at your network border, in which case you are already screwed
anyway)

Or have I misunderstood something ?