Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anyone know any good Assembly Language tutorials?

From: Thomas Jespersen <thomas () lucky-music dk>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:13:53 +0200

jnf wrote:

Hi,

I, myself, learned by knowing C and then using a combo of gcc -S and gdb
to be able to poke and prod and see how it turned out. Something else that
is really good is 'Art of Assembly', IIRC you can download it free off the
net- and there is both a windows, and linux version (Dos as well I
believe). I didn't learn through this method because I had already picked
up a bit from my other method and it starts with what the author calls
'High Level Assembly' (HLA), and I didn't want the filler, however it is a
great book.

Hi, I am new to this list so I do not know if this has been mentioned yet, but the book "Mastering Turbo Assembler" by Tom Swan is very good. It is very ms-dos/Windows centered so if you want a Linux book it might not be the best. It was what learned me Assembly language back in the late eighties, so you might have to find it second hand somewhere. Art of Assembly is, as already mentioned, also good:

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/

Also Intels website has pdf files with processor specifications and instruction etc. These are not for learning but good references
http://www.intel.com/design/pentium4/manuals/index_new.htm