Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Defense in Depth

From: "Randy Golly" <rcgolly () vermeertexas com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:50:29 -0500

Hence the title of this thread ... Defense in Depth.  First firewall allows
the DMZ, the second would allow no incoming IP at all unless initiated from
behind the second firewall.  Second firewall would be protecting critical
data servers and other assets from internal network.  Also place them on a
separate subnet behind the second firewall.  Theory is that if (when) all
hell breaks loose on the internal network, and critical data is sitting
behind its own firewall.

Randy Golly