Security Basics mailing list archives

VPN overkill?

From: "Ted A" <arcturous () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:16:35 +0000

All,
First off, good fun reading this list. Some really great advice and good thinkers on here. Thanks for the great questions and great answers.

So here's my issue. I have an IT infrastructure manager who has raised a requirement I find myself questioning. We have a goal of connecting a remote office to a central office via a VPN. This manager insists that only acceptable way to accomplish this is by connecting 2 VPN concentrators. I debate this, noting that a PIX should be more than capable of handling this connection at the remote office and the only place the concentrator is needed is at the central office. Am I completely off my rocker, thinking that a second concentrator for a single connection is a little overboard?

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Ted