Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Web logging

From: "K. K. Mookhey" <cto () nii co in>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:04:41 +0530

Ted Percival wrote:
I recommend Squid (http://www.squid-cache.org/). Its primary use is
as a cache for HTTP requests, but by default it logs _all_ requests.

As far as monitoring only particular machines/users, you could
achieve it by grepping (filtering) the logs, or (I'm not sure) it
might even allow you to specify which machines to log requests from.
Combine Squid with SARG. "Sarg - Squid Analysis Report Generator is a
tool that allows you to view where your users are going to on the
Internet." Excellent for generating all sorts of Squid reports.
http://sarg.sourceforge.net/sarg.php

Stephane Auger wrote:

Hi everyone,

one of my customers have requested a way to log the web sites that
a few employees go to, for an employee review.  They don't want to
"spy" the client computers, more like installing a sniffer on the
network just for them.  Now, I know all about Snort, but I don't
think this kind of tool would do the job.  Would anyone know of
some kind of "invisible" proxy that would just help me log all

Cheers,

--
K. K. Mookhey
Founder & CTO