Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall and VLAN security design

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:13:26 -0800

Is it ok to use a multi homed firewall, or should I conceder 2
physical firewalls, what would be the threat of using one.

  The slight marginal improvement in security from using two firewalls
(of different manufacturers, and preferably different technologies) is
offset by the extra cost and complexity.  In general, the multi-homed
firewall solution is more than sufficient.

Is VLAN segmentation enough to segment between the internet, DMZ and
the internal network, or should I also use different switches for
each, and be connected through the firewall.

  This is a FAQ, and the usual answer is that no, VLAN separation is not
a robust security barrier, an separate switches are recommended where the
different subnets need separation for security reasons.

David Gillett