Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Card Promiscuous Mode

From: David Brown <davidbrown () coal gov uk>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:25:07 +0100

Your best bet is to have him get hold of WinPcap and install it on the
laptop.  It's pretty much a prerequisite for any packet sniffing or traffic
analysis work you may want to do without using serious commercial packages.
You can then combine this with tools such as Windump for a basic traffic
capture and filter.  From there any of the opensource traffic analysis tools
- mostly pearl scripts that do nice things to the output for you to make it
easier to read - out there are a good way to go.

Dave Brown,
Network & Security Manager,
The Coal Authority,