Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Card Promiscuous Mode

From: James.Fields () bcbsfl com
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:35:05 -0400

Wow...I am having trouble believing what I am seeing here - advising
someone to do arp spoofing?

Chris - unless you or the other guy owns the target network or has
ultimate authority to make such decisions, do NOT advise your
counterpart to run arp spoofing as a method of defeating switch
behavior.  Depending upon the tool, the competence of the person using
it, and the network in question, you can do serious (temporary) harm to
network traffic running such tools.

Do yourself a favor and look at the other options first:
1) If the guy on the other end is actually a network technician, he
should be able to configure his switch to "span" or "Mirror" the traffic
from other switch ports to the one where he's plugged in.
2) If he's not "the" technician who can do this he should ask for that
assistance from the network administrators who do have the authority and
capability to do so.
3) Arp spoofing should only be used if there is no other responsible
party, no way to perform spanning or mirroring with the switch in
question, and no production traffic can be affected.