Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cisco CSA

From: "Jason Jaszewski" <sec_info () page55 com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 17:20:57 -0500

        I went through a Cisco CSA training seminar late last year. At one point
there was a "proof of concept" type exercise, where an attempt at installing
malware was in fact foiled and reported by the CSA software. I fail to
recall what malware package it was, but CSA seemed to detect and send an
alert about it quite well. As we went on, one person managed to configure
his policy so tight, when he deployed it to the group, no one had access to
do anything but run notepad on their computer until the administrator took
the policy off. This is not mentioned as a disadvantage, but just to
illustrate how powerful CSA can be (it does mean that you need to take care
and do some homework before deploying it).
        The CSA package does take some time to fine-tune and get down to the actual
events that you want to actively monitor and the policies you want to
configure. It is definitely not (and is not touted to be) "plug and play;"
it can't be ordered one day and deployed the next. After a few weeks of
fine-tuning, though, the number of false positives will slowly wind down
close to 0 (a couple of false positives here and there should probably be
expected). While the fine-tuning must be pretty meticulous, after the
fine-tuning, it seems to work very well.
        I currently use and monitor events via CSA on a daily basis, although the
event set we currently monitor is pretty small (and it was deployed
recently). I have found the CSA software to be pretty intuitive and easy to
use. I have not seen very many alarms on the CSA agent yet, so how it
responds outside of the training seminar I really have yet to see. To me,
the policy configuration seemed "similar" to GPOs in Windows 2000 Server, in
the way they were deployed and created (you can lock down machines, define
groups, etc.). All in all, after the seminar I was really impressed with
what CSA could do and the examples that were shown.
        Have you gotten together with Cisco and had a CSA demo? If not, I would
suggest it because it will give you a chance to see in action, rather than
just in a brochure. I attended the seminar mentioned above with a few
different network engineers and sysadmins... we were all pretty impressed.

Hope this helps,
Jason