Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Permissions and rights for security professionals inside organizations

From: sharon_joyner () timeinc com
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:22:42 -0400

In an ideal world, where the ideal separation of duties is possible,
security professionals who only do security administration should not
have full access to business data and should only be able to modify
permissions.  Of course, this means that they could grant permission to
themselves for sensitive data, but administrative tasks should be
audited to mitigate the risk.

Unfortunately, most systems are Microsoft or Unix and this separation of
duties is usually impractical.  Auditing administrative tasks is
therefore mandatory to mitigate the risk of admins doing bad things.

Sharon Joyner, CISSP
IS Security Administrator
Warner Publisher Services
9210 King Palm Drive