Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Recommending an IDS system

From: "Buyer Jr, David" <DBuyer () KaleidaHealth Org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:08:34 -0500

That feature is not an "Auto-Update" in Cisco. All that it does is bring you
to a web page that you can download the new signatures. You have to download
it and then install it all manually. As for writing your own signatures, I
am not going to pay 15 - 20 thousand dollars for an IDS that I have to write
my own signatures for. This is something that the company should be doing.
Cisco is not a "security" company. They buy other companies and stick their
logo on it. By the way, just for your information, in ISS you can also write
your own sigs as well. You can also import Snort sigs too (although it puts
a heavy load on the system when you import Snort sigs).

David Buyer